Re: HYB: Hexagonae:VINICOLOR

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Hexagonae:VINICOLOR
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 13:30:18 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Rodney Barton wrote:

> Walter,
>
> I think VINICOLOR is considedred a form of giganticerulea which some
> still consider a form of hexagona.  I. nelsonii's status is still
> debated.
>
> It struck me that VINICOLOR may be the LA that I've grown for 20+ years,
> rescued from my wife's great grandparents homestead is East Texas.  It
> had been for many years before.  It is also the iris that REALLY gave me
> the bug.  I had thought it was Dorthea K. Williamson.  Can one
> distinguish between these two.

	I have never grown DORTHEA K. WILLIAMSON but have seen slides of
it.  DKW seemed to have better branching but poorer form than VINICOLOR.
The color seemed the same.

> Can you trace your clone back to Small's collection?  Is it really that
> common as VINICOLOR?

	The plant has been around the family places for years.  I remember
seeing it near Henderson, TX and Woodville, MS on family property, and my
mother brought some of vinicolor and foliosa from MS to Ft. Worth for my
grandmother.  We didn't know the names until much later, and I doubt that
most people who grow it know it by name.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8