Re: Borer

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Borer
  • From: Chris Hollinshead <cris@netcom.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 14:01:26 -0600 (MDT)

Mary Kraft wrote:

> Does anyone know of a site on the Web where one could
> access a picture of the iris borer moth?  Or a book in
> which one is pictured?

The Iris borer - Macronocutua onusta, is a nocturnal moth and a photo
(black and white) may be found in The Iris Book by Molly Price. There
may be photos in other iris books as well.  As the head and the thorax
of the moth is black, with dull gray-brown colored fore wings and tan
hind wings the black and white photo is not too bad of a
representation! If the group cannot come up with a nice photo now that
exists on the web maybe we should embark on a photo expedition to
capture and photograph one later in the year. Then we can scan the
photo, distribute via the web and all enjoy the pleasure of the iris
borer in all its glory!?!

Reminder Note: DO NOT attach photos to the e-mails sent (posted) to the
Iris List.

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI