Re: Bloom & Sprouting

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Marte Halleck wrote:

> Arnold Koekkoek wrote:
> >
> [snip]
>        2. Over a year ago a friend in Colorado sent some seeds of I.
> > missouriensis, with the comment that even experienced growers had
> > trouble getting this one to germinate.  I tried at least 2 different
> > methods last year without success.  As a 3rd method I put some of the
> > seeds into a potting mix in a little container and stuck this in the
> > refrigerator, where it stayed for many months, through the past
> > winter.  I took it out in late March, put it under the growlight with
> > other things I planted, gave it water and very little hope.  Now I am
> > very excited that 3 of the seeds have germinated, all at different
> > intervals, and one is already about 4" high, the others smaller.  I
> > am thrilled to have gotten these to grow--no thanks to any superior
> > knowledge on my part, I assure you--and I just hope they will live
> > and bloom in the garden.
>
> Arnold, I don't think I'm the "friend in Colo." that you got these
> particular seeds from, tho I did send lots of I. missouriensis to folks
> on the List last fall. I'm delighted you had success & wonder if anyone
> has had luck getting those I sent to germinate???????
Mine didn't but the soil is not warm enough yet to expect anything.

> I've tried 3 methods, so far without sprouts happening: (1) sown in pots
> that I sank in the ground & left outside all winter & (2) enclosed in
> damp paper towels & a sandwich bag & cold-stratified in my fridge for 4
> mos., then sown & put under lights indoors. Because I had collected so
> many seeds, I also (3) broadcast a bunch on top of a snowdrift in the
> part of my back yard that stays soggy from run-off until some time in
> June. So far, no sign of germ. anywhere -- I'm probably being wildly
> impatient but have not given up, yet.
>
> Question: did you soak your seeds before you put 'em in the pot that you
> placed in your fridge? If so, how long?
> Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1 Colorado

Anner whitehead raised the point that some iris seeds need light
for germination in a previous discussion about germination in the
Iris-L. This is true for I virginica var shrevei at least. I didn't
know about this when I sewed both your seeds and the ones from
SIGNA and I couldn't retrieve them from the soil inthe pots.  Will
try again next year (If you would like to help with this.  TIA).
Next year I will try with the seeds on the soil surface, freezing
and recycling (in and out of the fridge for 12 hours every day) for
2 months and then sit in front of the window until something
happens.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html