Re: CULT:more on cygon...

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Arnold Koekkoek wrote:

> In searching for things that deter borers (which I am thankful I
> haven't had so far) I'm reminded that sprays made with onion or
> garlic juice as a major component are often recommended by organic
> gardeners to repel other pests.  Maybe that would work for the moth
> of the borer.  Also such gardeners often make sprays using the juice
> of weeds that seem immune to any pests.  Such sprays, applied to the
> iris leaves, wouldn't hurt the iris at all, but might keep the pests
> away, though not kill them, of course.  I've never tried this for
> borers, as I said, but if one or more of these would be effective it
> would be a great thing to know. Worth a try, I'd think.
> Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724

I keep wondering if there is some thing that can be sprayed on that
will stick. I was thinking of residual insecticide but anything
with a smell would do. I think that the moth has to smell the
irises to get to them since it operates in the dark (at might).

 Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email
address Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page