Re: Bloom & Sprouting

Diana Louis wrote:
> Anner whitehead raised the point that some iris seeds need light
> for germination in a previous discussion about germination in the
> Iris-L. This is true for I virginica var shrevei at least. I didn't
> know about this when I sewed both your seeds and the ones from
> SIGNA and I couldn't retrieve them from the soil inthe pots.  Will
> try again next year (If you would like to help with this.  TIA).
> Next year I will try with the seeds on the soil surface, freezing
> and recycling (in and out of the fridge for 12 hours every day) for
> 2 months and then sit in front of the window until something
> happens.

Yup, I remembered the point about light so I sowed on the surface after
soaking the seeds for several days, changing water daily. Anner & others
also said that leaf mold seems to help in getting I. missouriensis to
germ. so I incorporated some in the seed-potting soil.

A non-List friend wrote me that in Seed Germination Theory and Practice
by Norman Deno, he writes that germ. rates are typically low for this
species. His notes are as follows: 70L(2/9 in 7-10w), 70D(none),
40-70L(1/3) and 40-70D(none.) suggesting a light requirement.
[TRANSLATION: 70F, light, 2 of 9 seeds in 7 to 10 weeks, etc.] Another
of Deno's samples: "2/21 after over 2 years of alternating cycles and
1/23 after 2 years of outdoor treatment. Both samples had been subjected
to at least 6 mo. DS. [dry storage] Treatment with GA-3 [giberellic
acid] has not initiated germination as yet." Since my friend & I had
already discussed the need for soaking seeds that were thoroughly dry &
cold stratifying them, I don't know what Deno writes about same. I often
see this book quoted but have yet to get my hands on it.

Anyone know if it's helpful to "chip" these seeds before soaking &
sowing them? Thot I'd try that next time, too. And not to worry -- I
intend to collect more I. missouriensis seeds in Fall '98 to share.

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado -- where we've been getting
RAIN in spits today, helping to melt the snow that's still in the shady