Re: HYB: Hexagonae:VINICOLOR

>> The members of the Series Hexagonae (Louisiana Iris) are:
>> I. hexagona
>> I.fulva
>> I.brevicaulis
>> I.giganticaerulea and
>> I.nelsonii, the natural hybrid of I.fulva and I.giganticaerulea
>>
>        Where does VINICOLOR fit in all of this?  It was once given the
>status of I.vinicolor, but its 'title was stripped' because it was
>determined to be a hybrid (like i.nelsonii).  I have never understood why
>i.nelsonii has specie status and VINICOLOR doesn't.  VINICOLOR is
>currently in bloom in my bog.  It seems to be more widely grown in old
>Southern gardens than any of the above, including fulva or foliosa
>(brevicaulis).

Taking a total stab in the dark at this.  Nelsonii is a natural hybrid
that is naturally stable (breeds true to form).  Vinicolor, on the other
hand, sounds like it is probably a manmade hybrid of virginica x versicolor,
and my guess is that it is not stable (doesn't breed true to form) or may
even be sterile.

Again, this is a guess!  Don't flame me if I'm wrong.  :)

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, & Miami Valley Iris Society
Primary Interests: Hybridizing Arilbreds, Raising Native Ohio Species Irises