Re: CULT:more on cygon...

> In searching for things that deter borers (which I am thankful I
> haven't had so far) I'm reminded that sprays made with onion or
> garlic juice as a major component are often recommended by organic
> gardeners to repel other pests.

A friend has a wild onion/garlic (I keyed it to Allium cernuum) planted
in clumps all around his property.  He put it there to repel the white
grub (also from a moth) which was killing his turf and swears it works
marvelously.  He gave me a start of this plant to try with the warning
that it is very invasive.  I put it in the back of the jeep but almost
did not make it home.  The garlic smell was so strong from that one bulb
that I was choking with the windows down.  I do not have borers, but am
anxious to see if it really does help with the white grub.

Has anyone tried spreading mothballs to repel borers.  Off hand, I do
not remember the chemistry of moth balls (naphthalene?) but understand
that the material will soak into the soil and help with certain pests.
Probably not very eco-friendly though.  Fresh mothballs are also said to
repel deer; but that was yesterday's discussion.

Stephen Hopkins