Re: First blooms!

Christy Hensler writes:

> Iris season has officially started in Pend O'reille county....
>
> ALPINE LAKE (clip) popped open =
> yesterday. AL looks like a bouquet with so many blooms open.

ALPINE LAKE was the first bearded iris to open here in northern Utah as
well on April 24. It is producing the same effect here as you mention - the
most floriferous of the few MDBs I grow. After mentioning on Iris-l about a
month ago that I. bucharica blooms about five days ahead of AL, this year
it decided to bloom five days behind. The weather seems to have taken a
definite turn towards warmer and drier here after a cool, wet spring so
far. The daffodils, hyacinths and early tulips have wilted quickly and the
growth on the iris has exploded in the last two days. On Wednesday there
were no bearded iris stalks showing, except for the MDBs. By Friday, half
the SDBs had stalks well up out of the fans, and the buds on RASPBERRY JAM
(usually the first SDB to bloom here) were showing color. I also discovered
the first visible stalk on a TB this season on HER ROYAL HIGHNESS (Byers,
89), which is a new one here this year.

> Life is good.... :-)

Amen! And the seeds from my first ever Siberian crosses are starting to
sprout, too!

cwalters@digitalpla.net