Re: Blyth Irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Blyth Irises
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 17:23:16 -0600 (MDT)

william b. cook wrote:

> What is a Blyth iris?
>
> William,
>      A Blythe Iris is one that was introduced by either Barry, Heidi,
> Lesley, Paul, or Timothy Blythe of Pearcedale, Australia.  They usually
> have unusual colors.  The ones I had in Kentucky did pretty well there.
>      Since TB Irises are experimental at best here, I am trying to grow a
> Blythe Daylily.  CHRISTMAS DAY (Barry Blythe, 1981) has scapes and most
> likely will bloom late next week.
>
> Mark A. Cook
> billc@atlantic.net
> Dunnellon, Florida.

Mark -- I'm glad you have provided William Scarbrough with the meaning
of a Blyth iris.		A "blythe" iris, however, should be a carefree iris --
one which fears not the leaf spot which looms by day nor the borer moth
which flies by night. I see that you are also trying to grow a "blythe"
daylily, presumably one of those which "labour not, neither do they
spin." Both, assuredly, will prove the adage, "not even Solomon in all
his glory was clothed like one of these."   All kidding aside, though, I
am reminded of my candidate for the "most appropriate business name"
award: "The Blythe Rubber Stamp Company", of Indianapolis, Indiana.

On a more serious note, CHINESE TREASURE, BEACH GIRL (I think), AMBER
SNOW, NEUTRON DANCE and CHAMPAGNE ELEGANCE (1/2 Blyth) have all bloomed
reliably for me here.

I have several more Blyth irises planted as of last fall.  The first of
these to bloom, AURA LIGHT, is stunted.  I am ascribing that to the
rotten winter/spring we have experienced.

jgcrump@erols.com