Re: HYB: tetraploids, Diploids, Triploids etc

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: tetraploids, Diploids, Triploids etc
  • From: JEM 300 <JEM300@aol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 08:46:43 -0600 (MDT)

Enjoyed your essay on the above.  Can not critique it because I am no expert

Regarding colchicine, this is an alkaloid substance obtained from the autumn
crocus, colchicum autumnale, which induces chromosome doubling in plants.  In
Currier McEwen's book, THE SIBERIAN IRIS, the process of how this takes place
is described (page 171).  This method is commonly used in the hybridization of
Siberian iris.  Currently, I would say most Siberians on the market are
diploid.  JEWELLED CROWN (Hollingworth) is a beautiful example of a colchicine
induced tetraploid.

Linda Doffek         SE Wisconsin  Zone 5
JEM 300@aol.com