Re: HYB: tetraploids, Diploids, Triploids etc

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: tetraploids, Diploids, Triploids etc
  • From: The Hiltibidals <dutchman@fgi.net>
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 12:02:13 -0600 (MDT)

Quoting from "American Horticulturist", April, 1993 - and thanks to John
Scott Foster for sending it to me -

Discussing Joseph Mertzweiller's work with Louisiana Iris:

"In the early 1970's Mertzweiller finally forced the Louisiana iris's
diploid cell structure to become tetraploid, using the alkaloid colchicine,
a derivative of the autumn crocus......The procedure involves soaking
recently germinated seeds in a diluted solution of the colchicine...'You
kill 80 percent of the seedlings, so you've got to treat a lot of them',
Mertzweiller says.

"The colchicine temporarily interrupts the plant's normal cell division.
Some cells are 'fooled' into behaving as though they have not yet divided,
and they split again.  From then on, each new cell will have twice the
usual number of chromosomes."

Sharon Hiltibidal

At 10:30 AM 5/3/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Dennis,
>>
>>Enjoyed your essay on the above.  Can not critique it because I am no expert
>>either.
>
>Not everything I said may be correct, so take it with a grain of salt.
>

>>Regarding colchicine, this is an alkaloid substance obtained from the autumn
>>crocus, colchicum autumnale, which induces chromosome doubling in plants.
 In