HYB: variegata and west coast USA

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HYB: variegata and west coast USA
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 06:39:08 -0600 (MDT)

I keep reading, perhaps over and over again in The World of Iris (TWOI),
that I. variegata doesn't perform well on the west coast of the USA
(Oregon, California).

What does that mean?  Any of you west coasters ever actually try to grow
any I. variegata clones or any oldies that were pure variegata like ?
HONORABILE?

Does it rot? Fail to grow?  Have the 'molliegrubs'? Fail to bloom?  Have
flowers that look pathetic next to others?

Anner only was able to find one place for me that is growing MAY HALL.
>From what TWOI says, sounds like she has lots of variegata (M H, not
Anner : >).

Anybody on list have any experience growing M H?  She and MARY RANDALL
sure are in a lot of pedigrees.  I plan to 'reinvent the wheel' a bit
and grow some of these ancestral irises just to see how they react to
all the stressors here.

Is there some documentation of performance in different climates and
after late freezes for all the Dykes winners?  I guess I should say
rollercoaster freezes - freezes below 20o F after prolonged
above-freezing temperatures.  Anybody on list have a complete collection
of Dykes medalists that got frozen badly this year?  Or if you know
someone off-list who does who'd be willing to evaluate freeze injury and
subsequent bloom, rot etc for me, send me an address off-list and I will
write.

Although as Anner points out, the Dykes medallists are really chosen for
their uniqueness, they wind up being used more than anything else in
subsequent breeding.  Seems like.  Most of the time.

Another WHOLE CLOTH descendant out there in pristine bloom - FINE
FETTLE.  What a tall beauty.  Not a sign of damage to stalk or bloom,
but I haven't checked it's foliage.  And RIDE THE WIND is gorgeous -
haven't checked its genes yet.

Just enough bloom to keep me on this wild goose chase.

Anybody know of any variegata X WHOLE CLOTH crosses?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA