Re: HYB: variegata and west coast USA

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: variegata and west coast USA
  • From: Henryanner <Henryanner@aol.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 08:50:18 -0600 (MDT)

<<  Although as Anner points out, the Dykes medallists are really chosen for
 their uniqueness, they wind up being used more than anything else in
 subsequent breeding. >>

If Anner said that she must have been delusional. She has observed, as has
Dennis Stoneburner, who first introduced the concept of distinctiveness into
the conversation, a lack of uniqueness in some of them. Nor can it be said
that proven superior garden habits seems to be the universal selection
criterion. I'm not sure what the criteria defining the excellence that is
being acknowledged in this award is, although I imagine the human factor of
the selection process always ensures a strong subjective component. I tend to
see award of the Dykes as an acknowledgement of notable achievement, or
progress--if you will forgive the term--in hybidizing directions related to
color patterns, form, and bloom embellishment.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond,Va
Henry Hall   henryanner@aol.com