Re:Cult:Show West Tennessee Iris Society

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re:Cult:Show West Tennessee Iris Society
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 10:51:52 -0600 (MDT)

	Between bouts of heavy rainfall, hail, and wind the West Tennessee
Iris Society was able to squeeze in on Saturday a quite remarkable show.

	SWEETER THAN WINE, exhibited by Jean Batterman, was the queen and
what a glorious stalk it was.  There was no trouble at arriving at this
conclusion as all seven judges voted that award on the first ballot.
There were many other fine stalks in the queen's contention, but STW had
the 'pick me' charisma that won over every judge.

	Two other runners-up that garnered positions in the special honors
niche were I.pseudacorus (cream) and TARLITAN (a TB of Larry Gaulter's I
had missed seeing over the years), exhibited by Steve Stone. I cannot
remember if it was James Russell or Brenda Belus who won runner-up to the
queen with the cream pseudacorus, as both had enviable stalks of the same
plant.  Brenda later told me that she had given James his start! Now, I
have got to trade her something in order to get it growing in my garden.

	The design section in this show was super.  Usually, this is
something I don't pay attention to because my design skills are nil and
none.  In a category called "Breakfast in Bed" Jean Batterman, again, won
with a bluebird's nest surrounded by irises.  Momma bluebird was feeding
her babies!  Steve Stone's wine service with a turned over glass and an
iris arrangement caught the judges' eyes as well as my own.

	Super job, West Tennessee folk!  In spite of the odds, you pulled
it off quite commendably.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8