Re: HYB: tetraploids, Diploids, Triploids etc

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: tetraploids, Diploids, Triploids etc
  • From: John Montgomery <monashee@junction.net>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 10:53:47 -0600 (MDT)

Tom Tadfor Little wrote:

> tetraploids. Border beardeds (BBs) are tetraploid too, since they are
> mostly just small segregates from TB breeding.

Now I am confused - a fairly normal state of affairs.
I seem to recall Rick Tasco recently warning against this practice . Are  there
certain breeding lines which should be used to produce border beardeds or is it
just a matter that the flower should be in proportion to the height?

Thanks Tom for the very clear explanation of ploidy in iris classes.

John Montgomery
monashee@junction.net
Vernon  BC  Zone 5