Re: HYB: tetraploids, Diploids, Triploids etc

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: tetraploids, Diploids, Triploids etc
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 11:36:54 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 4 May 1998, John Montgomery wrote:

> Tom Tadfor Little wrote:
> > tetraploids. Border beardeds (BBs) are tetraploid too, since they are
> > mostly just small segregates from TB breeding.
> >
> =================================
> Now I am confused - a fairly normal state of affairs.
> I seem to recall Rick Tasco recently warning against this practice . Are  there
> certain breeding lines which should be used to produce border beardeds or is it
> just a matter that the flower should be in proportion to the height?
> Thanks Tom for the very clear explanation of ploidy in iris classes.
> John Montgomery
> monashee@junction.net
> Vernon  BC  Zone 5
	I wrote an article for the AIS Bulletin years ago called "Border
Patrol" in which the above subject was discussed.

	Proportion is the the key to introducing a BB that is a
segregate from tall breeding.

	Several years ago, Allan Ensminger offered a border collection,
and if TULARE was the standard for judging BB's years ago, CALICO KID,
BRIGHTEN THE CORNER, CALORIFIC, AND YO (the cultivars in that collection
that Allan offered) are hallmarks today for judging the class.

	The flowers are proportionally smaller and the stalks tinner and
under 27" in height.

	A TB sized flower on an 18" stalk should stand out as odd and
inappropriate for the class.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8