HIST-Optical and Textural Effects-More Recommendations

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST-Optical and Textural Effects-More Recommendations
  • From: Henryanner <Henryanner@aol.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 13:29:25 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings:

Further to the question we were discussing earlier about the velvety or
iridescent qualities of some older irises, I would like to make some more
recommendations of specific bearded cultivars. I have watched things blooming
in my garden these past two weeks and if you are interested in such effects
this may be of use to you.

Two irises that have shown very nice velvetyness this year are CAMEROUN, a
very dark red purple Cayeux iris from 1938 ,and ROSY WINGS (Gage'35), which
won the American Dykes in 1939. This is  a pinkish terra-cotta red. Both are
very nice and not that hard to come by. MONSIGNOR (Vilmorin-Andrieux '07) also
has pretty heavy velvet on the falls. This is a shorter iris (BB size) which
is grapedrink purple with rather heavy and dramatic royal purple markings
around the beards. Perhaps the heaviest velvet was on GARDEN FLAME, (H. Sass
'41) a deep warm red near self with few haft markings.

About iridescence: COPPER LUSTRE (Kirkland '34) did not show it as strongly as
I recalled, but it did show a marvelous golden sparkle. This iris, which won
the American Dykes in 1938, is cafe au lait color and has very large flowers.
Splendid! More iridescence was shown by BRONZE BROCADE(Nesmith '48)--very
dramatic copper-orange with blue-violet--and I have also noticed a good deal
on AUGUSTA (Mckee '48). BEOTIE (Cayeux '32) --gunmetal grey with an electric
blue blaze--was gorgeous, and crisp little PLUMERI (Nineteenth century) held
her own in magenta and copper. The famous French iris PRESIDENT PILKINGTON
(Cayeux '31)-tan with lavender falls--was very lustrous as well. Great stuff!

If you are interested in any of these, just give me a buzz for a where-to-buy
referral.

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman, AIS
Henryanner@aol.com, HIPSource@aol.com