Re: OT: oz for email

>This is TOTALLY off topic, but whose whimsey was it to give Australia
><oz> for their country's internet abbreviation?
>
>Linda Mann
>a bit slow on the uptake

This is a colloquialism Linda. We call ourselves Aussies (Ozzies - get
it?) We have a circus troupe here that call themselves 'Circus Oz'
meaning Australian circus. It's not an official thing, just most aussies
I know use it- easier than writing Aus, and less prone to
mispronunciation, and not to be confused with Austria. Otherwise you
really have to write the whole word AUSTRALIA. Perhaps if we'd stuck
with Van Daemans Land we could have then used VDL.
Jan Clark, Hope this clears the mud.