Re: HYB: tetraploids, Diploids, Triploids etc

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: tetraploids, Diploids, Triploids etc
  • From: Tom Tadfor Little <telp@rt66.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 16:28:51 -0600 (MDT)

John Montgomery wrote:

>Tom Tadfor Little wrote:
>
>> tetraploids. Border beardeds (BBs) are tetraploid too, since they are
>> mostly just small segregates from TB breeding.
>>

>=================================
>Now I am confused - a fairly normal state of affairs.
>I seem to recall Rick Tasco recently warning against this practice . Are
there
>certain breeding lines which should be used to produce border beardeds or
is it
>just a matter that the flower should be in proportion to the height?

Sorry, John, I didn't mean to imply anything about the relative merits of
breeding specifically for BBs vs. selecting them out of crosses intended to
produce TBs. I was just commenting that the BBs have their origin in the TB
gene pool.

In terms of what should be introduced and given awards as a BB, there is
general "official" agreement that proportion is very important--a BB should
not just be a TB that grows on a short stalk; bloom size, stalk width, and
foliage should all be scaled down proportionately. Most hybridizers who
make crosses with the intention of producing BBs naturally use smaller,
well-proportioned BB parents when possible. However, because the TBs and
BBs really share a single gene pool, there are no guarantees. Small BBs can
produce TB seedlings, and small, fully proper BBs can come from TB parents.

And, unfortunately, neither hybridizers, judges, or the buying public are
totally scrupulous in insisting on proper BB proportion. Poorly
proportioned "short TBs" continue to be introduced, grown, and given awards.

Personally, when I purchase BBs I tend to pass over anything listed as 26"
tall--this is usually a giveaway that the iris is really a TB that the
breeder thought would stand a better chance for awards if introduced in the
BB class.

Cheers, Tom.