Re: HYB: variegata and west coast USA

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: variegata and west coast USA
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 18:41:12 -0600 (MDT)

Marte in the mtns (NOT on the west coast) said
> One thing about whatever this variegata is, the year following division
> it blooms little or not at all, tho it comes back strong the next year.

That seems to be characteristic of most of the older irises I have.  I
think they must have much deeper or more extensive root systems that
take a while to re-establish (my own speculation - no data).

I have one small 3? yr old clump of HONORABILE that will bloom the first
time this spring.  Seems to be in good health despite
freeze/hail/constant rain, in marked contrast to most of the others out

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
the only irises that actually went under the floodwaters from the creek
are a couple of pallida children.  They were under about a foot or 2 of
not very raging floodwaters, but only one bloomstalk has appeared.  No
freeze/hail damage to speak of, no rot, little leaf spot.  One of the
advantages of gravelly soil : )