Re: HYB: variegata and west coast USA

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: variegata and west coast USA
  • From: Henryanner <Henryanner@aol.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 19:49:31 -0600 (MDT)

<<  Marte in the mtns (NOT on the west coast) said  > One thing about whatever
this variegata is, the year following division it blooms little or not at all,
tho it comes back strong the next year.
 That seems to be characteristic of most of the older irises I have.  I think
they must have much deeper or more extensive root systems that  take a while
to re-establish (my own speculation - no data). >>

I don't think that generalization holds across the board. I've never noticed
any of the the "older" bearded stuff taking any more time to settle in after
division and I've got show stalks this year on some historic stuff that was
uprooted with a pickaxe while in bloom last May. Most of the the old irises
that came from good nurseries is doing even better.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond,VA USDA Zone 7
Henry Hall  Henryanner@aol.com