Re: HYB: variegata and west coast USA

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: variegata and west coast USA
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 20:17:39 -0600 (MDT)

Re the following comments:

> <<  Marte in the mtns (NOT on the west coast) said  > One thing about
> this variegata is, the year following division it blooms little or not at
> tho it comes back strong the next year.
>  That seems to be characteristic of most of the older irises I have
> I don't think that generalization holds across the board. I've never
> any of the the "older" bearded stuff taking any more time to settle in
> division

The above two comments are true here whether the variety is older or newer.
other factor might cause the skip following division.  It is generally also
true on rhizomes
obtained new.  Could weather be a factor here?  Hot autumns, too dry maybe,
or just
not enough temperate weather between hot and cold temps (my candidate).

Donald Eaves
Zone 7