Re: Seeds and Pictures

The Hiltibidals wrote:

> To Willaim Scarbrough:
>
> Fellow listers will cringe that you might purchase from some of these -
> but when you're just getting started and want to see what you're purchasing
> and they send you the catalogs free.........

I think another excellent source for irises is your local iris club sale
(generally in the summer) Inexpensie irises, ones that you know grow well in
your area, and the club members can tell you what they look like. Take your
catalogs along and say "I want one that looks likt that (pointing)." They
should be able to help you.

> And to all Iris listers:  I always pull off the spent pulpy bloom if there
> are still buds to bloom on the stem - if someone will tell me
> how to collect seeds, I can send them to Wm, and would I be correct in
> concluding that I need to include the name of the iris from which
> I take the seeds?

Knowing the parent is good, but is not much indication what the offspring will
look like. The seeds will not often breed true to the parent like a lot of
other flowers.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.
http://members.home.net/jijones