Sand and stalks

Hi everybody!
I have to raise my head every now and then from lurkerville!

Last July I dug several new beds for all those iris I ordered.  Only
this time I managed to do it right.  I used generous amounts of
builder's sand (not that fine stuff) to mix with the Idaho clay, aka
cement!  This is the first year that I've not lost any iris to rot and I
planted well over 100 into these beds.  I can recall several years where
I lost so many I seriously considered not growing iris anymore.
Fortunately, I learned from another iriser and got the hint from her.
I'm sold on this method (it was also mentioned in one of the recent AIS
bulletins, sorry can't remember which one).

I can't recall a year when I've had TB's start showing stalks this early
but BLUE SAPPHIRE (TB)and i. pallida are both up and ready!  I'm trying
to remember the last time we had temps in the high 80's this time of
year and for so long...weird.

Another note:  Idaho whitetails hate iris especially when they have tips
of lilies,raspberries and other deer gourmet delights from which to

Lane Alexander
Moscow, Idaho USDA Zone 4 Sunset zone 2