Re: HYB: variegata and west coast USA

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: variegata and west coast USA
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 04:34:59 -0600 (MDT)

Anner Whitehead said:
> I've never noticed
> > any of the the "older" bearded stuff taking any more time to settle in after
> > division and I've got show stalks this year on some historic stuff that was
> > uprooted with a pickaxe while in bloom last May.

Hmm - one of the tidbits I picked up last year from a non-lister is that
slow growers tend to be better performers in mixed beds in our part of
the world.  And the ones that do best here tend to be slow, but healthy
growers.  Is this another variegata trait?   My pallida babies do the

I confess that my perception of the slow growth comes partly from my own
transplants where I have let the poor plants get smothered by weeds etc
or shaded out, so the rhizomes are definitely not from a 'good
nursery'.  And they may have to make deeper roots to survive the summer
in my gravel soil.

Anner, do you notice any tendency for the diploids to take longer to
establish than the tets?  That seems to be a trend here.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA