Re: Re:Seeds and Pictures

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Re:Seeds and Pictures
  • From: The Hiltibidals <dutchman@fgi.net>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 05:55:46 -0600 (MDT)

This year I spent my flower budget on roses - several hundred $ worth of
antiques and OGR's - my lil mum is almost 80 - loves roses.  I have made a
tea garden and an OGR garden for her to enjoy to her hearts content -
between her place and mine, there are more than 100 of them!  I have to
make one more statement about Jung, Springhill, Gurneys and Henry Fields
and Dutch Gardens:  Two years in a row, more than half of each planting
drowned.  I was devastated!  Finally figured it out:  While I'm house-bound
with winter weather in zone 5, where I planted iris in zone 6 was freezing
every night, thawing every day, and the spring rains drowned them!  All
suppliers replaced them without question.

Last summer I brought in 20 tons of top soil and raised a 12' x 80' bed 6",
planted  250+ named iris deeper than recommended.  I sowed perennial rye
over the entire to hold the dirt up and the iris in - AND THEY'RE BLOOMING!
 Perhaps in time, as I keep lurking and learning, I will be able to speak
about this one and that one with credibility.  I have a list of 'wants'
from every catalog I have received this year.  When I fill the three sunny
lots, there are 20 acres further out in the country - not interested in
hybridizing, can't believe I'd ever enter a show, the only iris society
I've located is 30 miles away and I work 5 days a week, spend my weekends
with mother and the gardens.

That is why the wonderful people on the I-List are so important to me -
its a level of experience and information simply NOT available anywhere.
I can fit the 'getting' of it into my hectic schedule.  Thanks, Everyone!
Sharon