ADMIN: bounced mail policy

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: ADMIN: bounced mail policy
  • From: Tom Tadfor Little <telp@rt66.com>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 09:17:23 -0600 (MDT)

When list mail cannot be delivered to one of the subscribers, the error
message is forwarded to me. Often, the delivery problem is just temporary
(some computer is down). However, there are also times when the problem is
more permanent. For example, someone closes their email account without
bothering to remove themselves from Iris-L.

As stated in the list policies, I keep track of these things and, when
there seems to be a persistent problem, I put the subscriber on digest
mode, and eventually remove them from the list. (The latter is something I
do only when it is quite clear that the email account no longer exists.)

Recently, with the increased number of subscribers, the number of error
messages I receive has increased tremendously. Hundreds come every day,
sometimes more than 1000. I'm going to get more ruthless about putting
people on digest. (The digests don't get delivered any better than the
individual postings do, but there are a lot fewer of them and hence a lot
fewer error messages produced.)

One of the common causes of bounced messages is people failing to clean out
their mailbox for several days. Some providers (AOL and Juno are especially
bad) allow you a very limited space for incoming messages. If you don't log
on and download your mail regularly, the provider refuses to accept any
more messages and sends me an error message for every piece of Iris-L mail
that is sent to your address. PLEASE, AOL users especially, keep your
mailbox cleaned out. If you'll be gone for a few days, send the message SET
IRIS-L MAIL POSTPONE to LISTSERV@RT66.COM to suspend your subscription
until you return.

Also, if you change your email address or decide to cancel your email
account, please take the time to unsubscribe from Iris-L before you close
your account. This does not happen automatically!

If you discover you've been put on digest mode because of delivery
problems, you can resume receiving individual postings by sending SET
IRIS-L MAIL ACK to LISTSERV@RT66.COM...and please try to keep your mailbox
cleaned out in the future.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Happy irising, Tom.

Tom Tadfor Little                       telp@Rt66.com
Iris-L list owner  *  USDA zone 5/6  *  AIS region 23
Santa Fe, New Mexico (USA)
Telperion Productions      http://www.rt66.com/~telp/
Iris-L Web Site  http://www.rt66.com/~telp/garden.htm