Re: HYB: tetraploids, Diploids, Triploids etc

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: tetraploids, Diploids, Triploids etc
  • From: Tom Tadfor Little <telp@rt66.com>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 09:27:49 -0600 (MDT)

>Another is that the tangerine factor, which enables pink irises, somehow
>to be expressed only in tetraploids.
>Is there yet any indication of why?

I'm not sure it's been demonstrated that the t factor is present in
diploids; it may have been a mutation that originally arose in the
tetraploids. Although it is not outside the realm of possibility that a
tetraploid's four doses of t would have a stronger biochemical effect than
a diploid's two doses, that is a rather unusual way for genes to behave.

Like you, I've read things that imply there are tt diploids without visible
pink in the petals, but I don't know what the actual evidence for that is.
Can anyone provide more info?

Tom Tadfor Little                   telp@Rt66.com
Santa Fe, New Mexico (USA)
Telperion Productions  http://www.rt66.com/~telp/