RE: CATALOGS' Seeds and Pictures

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: CATALOGS' Seeds and Pictures
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <Koekkoek@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 14:11:06 -0600 (MDT)

Mary:  There are many, many growers/suppliers of iris who deal in a
reputable and honest way.  Some belong to this iris-l also.  I
wouldn't want to clutter up this list by reciting names, etc., but if
you e-mail me privately I'd be happy to tell you the names of some
with whom I've dealt.  If you look in the AIS Bulletin, if you have
it available, you'll find many advertise in the last pages of that
publication.  Probably the best way to start is to try to find
somebody who is in your general area, so that you'll have some
assurance that what they sell is hardy in and suited to your area.  I
know of a couple Indiana growers and can give you addresses if you'd
like.  Others on this list who are in your part of the country can no
doubt tell you where they find the best place to buy.   I must
say, though, that I've ordered from many different areas of the
country and generally had pretty good success with almost all the
growers.  Just one or 2 exceptions, and that because the iris of a
couple hybridizers just don't seem to do well in NW Iowa.  Not a
problem of honesty or reliability of what they supply.  The biggest
problem is that when you start getting catalogs you get carried away
and want to buy from them all!  	I hope you'll be able to find what
you want.  I love it when the catalogs begin to arrive each year.

Arnold Koekkoek

Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
Sioux Center, IA 51250