RE: CATALOGS' Seeds and Pictures

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: CATALOGS' Seeds and Pictures
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 17:46:25 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Jan Clark wrote:

> Maybe it's just my opinion, but I don't feel that it is right to mention
> names of suppliers you don't like, on an open mailing list that keeps
> archives for many years, for the world to read. People have businesses
> to run and we all make mistakes, admittedly some more than others. Be
> fair.
> Jan Clark, hoping not to sound too moralistic.
	This subject has been discussed on this list off and on since I
have been a member - eighteen months, I think.

	When a company continually sends out misnamed plants (Springhill)
or puny plants (Michigan Bulb) over a period of many years, wouldn't you
want to know of their reputation?  As stated in another message,
Springhill takes previously used names registered in the AIS Checklists
and uses those names on their plants.  They have taken names of TB's and
given them to their JI's.  Personally, I have contacted Springhill via
email and the U. S. mail about their practice of naming but have never
received an answer from them.

	Yes, occasionally some of the better iris suppliers make a
mistake, but when that mistake is brought to their attention, they will
correct it.

	Springhill and Michigan Bulb also replace plants.  When I
complained about the quality of their merchandise, they replaced the
plants I ordered with plants I had NOT ordered.

	Just the practice of stealing previously used iris names  is
enough for me to brand the company as unreliable.  If they steal iris
names, I am sure they steal other properly registered names from other
plant societies.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8