Re: CAT:"SHOGUN" et al.

Sharon Hiltibidal asked:

> <<  Does anyone have any information on Lute Song, Pink Lady and Shogun
>  Japanese iris?   >>

and Anner Whitehead replied:
> I think if you will visit the Archives of Iris-L at
> http://www.mallorn.com/lists/iris-l/,
> do a search using SHOGUN as the search term, and select all months, and
all
> years, you will find copious discussion of this so called japanese iris
and
> some related issues. In short, I will tell you that it does not exist.

Sharon,

Not surprisingly, "Lute Song" and "Pink Lady" are equally specious as names
for Japanese iris. By AIS registration both these names have been granted
to TB's, LUTE SONG (Tompkins, 60) - a medium pink self, and PINK LADY
(Ketchum, 53) - another pink self. There was mention on this list earlier
today that certain nurseries with flexible scruples "borrow" officially
recognized iris names for items they market. Here we have three exhibits
for the prosecution.

cwalters@digitalpla.net