Re: CATALOGS' Seeds and Pictures

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CATALOGS' Seeds and Pictures
  • From: "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 00:41:18 -0600 (MDT)

>There was mention on this list earlier
>today that certain nurseries with flexible scruples "borrow" officially
>recognized iris names for items they market. Here we have three exhibits
>for the prosecution.

>I don't believe it's in your interest to discredit a company in such a
>public way. One wrong doesn,t make up for another.

I know this subject is probably overdone, but  I would like to add a bit to
the
discussion. I can add three more ehibits for the prosecution. In 1990, I
purchased
three rhizomes directly from the Spring Hill showroom. They were Sailor's
Dance,
Fluted Lime and Stepping Out.   Fluted Lime, I believe, is correct.  I
question Stepping
Out's authenticity, enough that I obtained a start from another source to
compare.
And, in what could not be a timelier manner, Sailor's Dance bloomed for me
today.
In light of the recent discussion,  I compared it with the R&I description
and a picture
from Cooley's......it is a dead ringer for Sailor's Dance, except for the
YELLOW beard.

I have bought only those 3 from that nursery, and never intend to buy
another from there.

I do not think any of us are discrediting this nursery to further our
interests. They are a fine
source of plants for the casual gardener.  For those who are interested in
specific iris,
either for collecting, hybridizing, or propagating for resale, take heed of
the information
being posted.  If this nursery had taken steps to correct these issues they
would not be
subject to these reports. Walter is not the only person who has brought
these matters
to their attention.  I feel it is the responsibility of AIS members and
other irisarians to let
others, especially those new to iris, know what sources should be avoided.
I have grown irises
for a long time, and while Sailor's Dance is only one of 250 TB's I grow, I
am still feeling a
bit disappointed today, as well as glad I did not use this in my
hybridizing.

Pardon me while I climb down off my soapbox.....

John Bruce
jbruce@infinet.com
1VP Miami Valley Iris Society
AIS Region 6 / SW OH Zone5