Re: CAT:"SHOGUN" et al.

Sharon Hiltibidal writes:

> Well then, your case is made - they are part of a beautifully pictured
> collection - and they are sure NOT TBs, look like the shape  of any
> Japanese Iris I've ever seen - have no experience with Japanese -
> are they also registered? Could we track down what their real names are
and
> get the record set straight?  If there isn't a registration process for
> Japanese - would there be no enforceable remedy to prohibit anyone
calling
> them whatever they wish?

Sharon,

I am no expert on Japanese iris, but , yes, the AIS is the official
worldwide registry agent for JI's, as it is for all other rhizomatous iris.
All reputable JI hybridizers in the U.S. register the names of their
introductions with the AIS. I believe the Japanese hybridizers (i.e., the
ones in Japan) have not been so consistent about registry in the past. I
also gather from discussion on this list that the JI's being sold by these
mass marketing nurseries may actually be unnamed seedlings and that
therefore they have no "real names". In fact, one rhizome sold as "Shogun"
may not even be of the same
origin as another. Since these people flout the system, there can be no
guarantees.

cwalters@digitalpla.net