RE: CATALOGS' (descriptions)

	Arnold wrote:

>Making mistakes is one thing.  Everybody does it, and it can be

	I agree and I would add one more point that may or may not affect
	many of us. The inclusion of USDA hardiness Zones next to an entry.

 	The fine nursery, Heronswood, has Siberian irises hardy to
	Zone 5...which is certainly not correct anyhow you slice it. True,
	there is a notation in the catalogue that says they err on the side
	of caution but I think this is too *cautious* and might lead to folks
	not trying some of the cultivars. BTW, one of the cultivars was the
	infamous 'Butter & Sugar' that does just dandy in Zone 3 and not too
	well in the middle zones (from what has been published on this list
	in the past).

	When I get the Heronswood cat, this is my 2nd year, I go through

	the perennial section and mark off all the Zone 3s in red (which takes
	me under 3 mins. since they are so few - I scan, not read). Then I
	go through again and mark off the Zone 4s in blue and Zone 5s in
	black, etc.

	When one is buying pricey plants and paying the max in shipping...
	it is a shame to waste $$$. It would help if one could trust the
	cats....BTW, I have written to Heronswood and am waiting to hear

	Just a pet peeve,

Ellen Gallagher  / e_galla@moose.ncia.net
Siberian iris robin   /   sibrob@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA / USDA Zone 3