SPEC: I. stolonifera

Just wanted to make a brief report from the Santa Fe Iris Society meeting of
last Thursday (okay, so I'm behind on the e-mail again.  Picky, picky).  The
program that night was on arranging with iris, a subject which unfortunately
leaves me, well, unmoved.  The highlight of the evening for me was the stalk
of I. stolonifera which was brought in by our own Tom Tadfor Little.  I wish
you all could see it!  This is an aril species, of the Regelia sort, with
tall narrow standards and squished, narrow tucked falls--but the color!
Brilliant magenta rose over cream, and the standards stitched deeply with
gold, the same gold also on the style arms.  And it's tall.  Now I think I
know where SAFFRON JEWEL gets its color pattern, and some of its form.  Wow.

Barb in Santa Fe, where maybe it's finally spring, and I have a slew of SDB
seedlings blooming.