Re: CATALOGS' Seeds and Pictures

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CATALOGS' Seeds and Pictures
  • From: "John I. Jones" <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 13:48:22 -0600 (MDT)

Jan Clark wrote:
> I sure would, but I wouldn't like to be sued for slander. Don't you have
> trade practices acts in the U.S.? Can't companies like this be reported
> for false advertising?
> I don't believe it's in your interest to discredit a company in such a
> public way. One wrong doesn,t make up for another.

Well in order for it to be slander, it has to be not true. As long as one is
truthful about what happened, I believe that you have the right to speak your opinion.

If someone asks what the reputation of a company is, I think it is perfectly
reasonable to report your experiences with them. If a supplier puts an
incorrect name on an Iris in an advertisement, that is a demonstrable fact,
not slander.

Certainly there are consumer affairs offices in most district attorney
offices, but they are generally embroiled in more serious (from their
perspective) problems.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.