Re: CAT: Dutch Iris Name Reference

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CAT: Dutch Iris Name Reference
  • From: Paul & Yvonne Tyerman <tyerman@dynamite.com.au>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 21:33:18 -0600 (MDT)

At 21:20 6/05/98 -0600, you wrote:
>We just received a catalog from one of our wholesale suppliers
>that lists Dutch iris. Is there a reference we can use to verify
>that the names they list belong to Dutch iris according to AIS
>standards? Some examples are Golden Harvest, Symphony & Wedgewood.
Golden Harvest and Wedgewood at least are VERY old varieties of Dutch iris
and it is unlikely they would be incorrectly labelled.  If they are its
likely to be their original suppliers fault (I cannot vouch for the company
itself as I am on the other side of the world).

On a slightly side issue (well more oblique.... whatever) a friend was
telling me that the number of "King Alfred Daffodills" sold every year was
physically impossible to breed.  Most of what we buy as "King Alfred" is
just a yellow trumpet variety that has similar characteristics......... and
which for reference is likely to be much hardier and more reliable than
King Alfred itself.

Anyhow, sorry for that little side-track.  Certainly over here in Australia
we have Wedgewood and Golden Harvest available very readily.  Don't know
about Symphony though.

I hope this is some help.

Cheers.					Paul Tyerman (Australia)