Re: Dutch Iris Name Reference

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Dutch Iris Name Reference
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 21:59:44 -0600 (MDT)

Duane Buell writes:
> We just received a catalog from one of our wholesale suppliers
> that lists Dutch iris. Is there a reference we can use to verify
> that the names they list belong to Dutch iris according to AIS
> standards? Some examples are Golden Harvest, Symphony & Wedgewood.

AIS does NOT currently have responsibility or authority for registering the
names of bulbous iris. This is handled by a Dutch association. Way back
when AIS did register bulbous iris (before WWII), they recorded WEDGEWOOD
as being bred by deGraaf Brothers of Leyden, Holland (a firm in business
since 1621) in 1921. As Paul Tyerman has already mentioned, it is an old
standard variety of Dutch iris. Incidentally, Jan deGraaf, the well-known
lily hybridizer in Oregon, was a member of this family who moved to the
U.S. as a young man.