MED: Chartres

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: MED: Chartres
  • From: SOkase <SOkase@aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 07:46:53 -0600 (MDT)

Greeting L-ers,
My stalk of Chartres (J. & V. Craig '97) has been blooming for a week now with
still several buds to go. Earlier I posted a message about it's remarkable
stalk and branching (one of the branches is coming from the base of the stalk,
is re-branched, and is still blooming above the leaves) and bud count. The
flowers are equally as beautiful. Lavender standards with deep violet falls
that blend out to a lavender rim (can I say it looks like Magic Man?), all
finished with gentle ruffling. A bit of a tangerine beard too. This is the
most modern MTB I have seen yet, it's about time, I think. From a distance, it
truly looks like a miniature-ized version of what modern tall bearded irises
look like. The catalog description said it has 6-7 buds but this stalk had
more. I can't tell you how many buds it has because in my frenzy of
admiration, I broke one of the branches off. I hate when I do that. Has anyone
else ever done that? I guess this stalk isn't going to the show.....as Tina
Turner sez....Mighta Been Queen.....*sigh*

Iris Maniac,
Sterling (not Innerst)
Seattle, WA. Zone 8