Re: STUDY IN BLACK- Happy Birthday

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: STUDY IN BLACK- Happy Birthday
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 20:16:09 -0600 (MDT)

Walter writes:

> 	STUDY IN BLACK, Gordon Plough, '68, turned thirty this year, too.
> A tailored deep red black, this iris converted a lot of people who had
> only a casual interest in irises in to full blown, card-carrying AISers.
> Often with three flowers open, she was a contender for the best black in
> local shows.  Never upstaged by her lack of ruffles, she has a color
> impact that has continued to charm iris fanciers over the years and will
> for years to come.  SIB was awarded the AIS Award of Merit, and she and I
> brought home the best black trophy several times from Ft. Worth shows.
> Many happy returns.
Of all the new irises planted last year, this one has done the best in
performance-by far.  Today, after two days of scorching dry heat there were
still three blooms on one stalk, still looking good and more healthy
buds still to come.  I hope this is an indication of future performance.

Donald Eaves
Zone 7 and now I'm wanting to wander in the alleys of Richmond and see for