Re: SPEC - Iris missouriensis hard to grow?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC - Iris missouriensis hard to grow?
  • From: "Barbara Mann" <irismaven@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 23:01:23 -0600 (MDT)

Paige asked:

>Does anyone out there find Iris missouriensis easy to grow? Got any tips =
>to share?

I've found I. missouriensis germination to be very variable, possibly
depending on where the seed's from and maybe how mature it is.  I once
brought two seeds home from a mountain meadow (the only seeds I could find),
and I now have two five-year-old clumps (those were planted in the ground
along with that year's crop of bearded iris seeds).  But so far seeds from
those clumps have not grown here.  I have gotten up to around 60% on some
SIGNA seeds from Colorado using the refrigerator technique.  This year I've
been trying the leave-it-in-pots-outside-over-the-winter trick, but it's
still too early to tell if anything is going to make it.  I hope so--it's
easier to keep track of the little seedlings in pots.

Barb Mann in Santa Fe, where I really thought it was going to try for one
last snowfall today.