SHOW: KCIS Show Results

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: SHOW: KCIS Show Results
  • From: SOkase <SOkase@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 23:04:25 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings L-ers,
My local club the King County Iris Society just had their early show. With our
weird El Nino weather, hot and very dry spring (and much rain the day of the
show to further distroy our flowers and our spirit), turnout was rather
skimpy. Since I keep mainly a working garden, I had not planned on showing
anything but club members talked me into cutting a few things for the show.
Boy, am I glad I did! When I got there with my measly 10 entries, there was
not much out on the tables. We usually have about 200+ entries but not today.
I would guess we barely hit 100 entries.
The things I brought were SDBs, IBs, BBs and PCNs so I had a pretty good
selection to show in spite of the rain. Of course, my "Mighta Been Queen"
CHARTRES (Craig '97) stayed at home since I broke one of the branches off
trying to admire it. I am still boo-hoo-ing about it. I even had a good
seedling to show which was a first for me. Anyway, what few entries I brought,
I still thought I had a chance to place something on the "Best of Section"
table so I groomed them and put them out.
Earlier, I had been asked to play clerk for the judges and let me tell
you....It is very NERVE WRACKING to stand there quietly while the judges
"critique" your entries. But I was a good boy and said nothing. I even had to
quietly give one of my entries an Honorable Mention ribbon. *sniff...sob* Oh,
the cruel injustice of it all.
Things didn't turn out so badly for me even after being awarded an HM ribbon.
My entry of Stinger, a gold and lavender plicata SA SDB by Monty Byers placed
as "Best SDB" and my entry of Finsterwald, a shrieking bright yellow IB with a
ghostly brown crescent spot pattern from Innerst (who is that?) placed as
"Best IB". Pretty good for someone who had to leave his "Queen" with the
broken branch at home.
And now....Ladies and Gentleman....drum roll, please....."Queen of the Show"
is awarded to........FINSTERWALD!!!! Taaaa Daaaaa!!!! Yes, Finsterwald beat
out the likes of Tiger Honey (Best TB) and Knock 'Em Dead (second runner up to
the Best TB). I can hardly believe it as I sit here and write this. So, now my
name goes down in the annals of AIS history. And I didn't have to use my old
"show trick" of bringing aphids to scatter on eveyone elses entries to
win....I won fair and square!!! Just kidding...don't flame me, please.
Oh, and to top things off, I won the Bronze Medal for 7 blue ribbons. With a
name like Sterling, I would have preferred the Silver but, oh well, I can't
have everything all at once, I guess. But there is always the next show. Watch
out folks, I will be there with ALL my Rosettes on!!!
Oh, did I hear someone ask how my seedling did in competition? It did
nothing... but I am not discouraged because it was up against about 10 Jayne
Ritchie seedling and hers were definitely gorgeous. I have lots of work to do
and thankfully lots of inspiration as well.

Iris Maniac,
Sterling (not Innerst)
Seattle, WA. Zone 8
guess I will have to cool it on the Innerst jokes now, huh?