Re: Hist B-day

NEW MOON, Neva Sexton '68, bloomed today with two flowers open,
and is as 'modern' looking as she was thirty years ago and could be
queen of the show if a show had been held today.

I am not sure that I understand, but it sounds as if you are used to AIS
judging that favors the newest TBs for Queen regardless of the superior
merit of anything else.  SAY IT ISN"T SO! At the ISM (Iris Society of
Massachussetts) show, a beautiful stalk of I pseud. has one for at least
three of the last five years. The moral of the story is, I guess, that a
garish TB with 4 blooms open is usually the peoples choice winner, but
excuses shouldn't be made for it if one or two flowers are going by.  A
smaller flowered (possibly diploid) historic should not be held back
simply on the basis of year of introduction.
Andrew Wheeler
awheele2@abacus.bates.edu