AIS: show & garden tours

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: AIS: show & garden tours
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 20:30:17 -0600 (MDT)

We survived our first judged show Saturday.  Pretty shabby display of
irises, but I was amazed to see much of anything.  Record rainfall for
April - highest since the late 1800s when they started keeping track of
such things (probably well over 10 inches, but I never heard the
numbers).  Lots of hail damage from several different events (unusual
here).  And then there was that freeze back in March...

I learned a lot clerking, though they were threatening me with tape
before we started to make sure I kept my mouth shut.

Sorry folks, but I forgot to take notes on winners - I think SOO LING
won queen, but I'm not positive.

All in all an exhausting but fun ordeal.

We went to the Couturiers (Sunnyridge Gardens) and Tom and Grace
Parkhill's.  Highlight for me was seeing a nice clump of Walter Moores'
CONFEDERATE ROYALTY in Tom's garden (with my name clearly written in
invisible ink on one of the increases).

Notes from the Parkhills: OREGON SKIES is a beautiful shade of blue.
(For Rick Tasco - COMING UP ROSES does well for Tom Parkhill, but not at
all well for the Thurmonds in Kentucky.  The Thurmonds also mentioned
that they think Sterling Innerst's irises might be growing in more acid
soil conditions than they usually have in KY.  So I made the leap to
maybe pH/boron differences for COMING UP ROSES???) LACE ARTISTRY was a
nice, fluffy, flaring pink in bloom and STEAM HEAT is a vigorous
Tompkins iris.

My notes from the Couturiers are a bit cryptic (getting hot and tired),
but CONFECTIONARY is the only one I put an * next to, with the note VERY
healthy.  I have no memory of what it looked like.  Also DARK WATERS
(Aitken 1992) was very healthy and had good increase.  I got to look at
some of those ancestral irises I was finding in the checklist quest -
ROCOCCO had a LOT of freeze damage, MISSOURI was healthy, but a weak or
slow grower, BLUE RHYTHM had freeze damage, SANGREAL had NO damage,
DAUNTLESS was dead, MARY RANDALL had no damage but was very small, WHOLE
CLOTH had some freeze damage, DEPUTE NOMBLOT was healthy (no freeze
damage).  I didn't run across MRS ANDRIST in my hunt through heredity,
but she had "spectacularly good growth", according to my notes from the
Couturiers.  Anybody know if MRS ANDRIST, the iris, was anybody's
mother?  (or dad)  MISSION RIDGE was also very healthy with good bloom.

Speaking of ancestral irises, in my garden, RAMESES, HONORABILE, and
AMOENA are blooming, totally undamaged plants and happy (though I must
admit not very appealing to me) flowers.  I haven't checked on ?BLUE
SHIMMER lately - likely to have had flowers prevented by the March
freeze, but usually little or no freeze damage to foliage.

On the way back from the show, I took judge Julie Allen by to visit
Edith Vinyard's Greenback backyard iris sale patch.  The most
spectacular iris garden in Tennessee, we decided.  Almost no disease,
few weeds, lotsa mud.  We both bought a bunch of unlabelled beauties
(mostly fairly recent stuff from Schreiners') to enjoy, pretending they
would grow as well for us as for Edith.

Linda Mann, East Tennessee Iris Society, USA  zone wet