SHOW: Queen Criteria (was Historic B-day)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: SHOW: Queen Criteria (was Historic B-day)
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 21:22:32 -0600 (MDT)

Andrew Wheeler writes:

> I am not sure that I understand, but it sounds as if you are used to AIS
> judging that favors the newest TBs for Queen regardless of the superior
> merit of anything else.  SAY IT ISN"T SO! (clip)
> A smaller flowered (possibly diploid) historic should not be held
> back simply on the basis of year of introduction.

Andy,

Favoring a more recent variety for Queen of the Show (Best Specimen) over
an older variety -assuming both are of comparable merit - is not
necessarily an instance of prejudice on the part of the Judges, but
represents an implementation of AIS policy. The following statement appears
on page C-69 of the Judges' Handbook (in the section on Selecting the Best
Specimen of the Show):

"This does not suggest that only the latest introduction can qualify for
the honor, but an older variety of obviously outdated features should not
be selected even if the entry is an excellent specimen for the variety".

cwalters@digitalpla.net