Re: SHOW: Queen Criteria

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SHOW: Queen Criteria
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 06:23:53 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Jeff and Carolyn Walters wrote:

> Mark,
> You are correct that this issue was discussed on the list not long ago, and
> many may demur from the rationale represented in the current policy. But
> while it remains in force it would be irresponsible of AIS Judges if they
> were to flout it.
> Jeff Walters in northern Utah  (USDA Zone 4, Sunset Zone 2)
> cwalters@digitalpla.net
	I am trying to figure out how my original post of wishing Happy
Birthday to NEW MOON was construed that I had a preference for a newer
variety winning Queen of Show.

	This subject of older/newer having special rights to the queen has
been previously discussed and can be reviewed in the archives.

	Relative to the rule or current policy, I doubt that any single
judge could 'flout' his/her preference in selecting the QOS.  No single
judge has the responsibility of selecting the Queen.  The entire panel
has that responsibility, and depending on the size of the show, that panel
can consist of as many as ten judges or even more.  Also, in nearly all
shows I have judged, the balloting was secret.  A panel exists for one
show and is probably never ever duplicated; therefore, I think 'flouting'
is almost impossible.  One or two judges might show preferences for older
cultivars and develop a reputation for that preference, but the majority
vote of the panel would no doubt maintain adherence to AIS rules.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8