Re: OT: differing opinions

At 16:21 10/05/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Yesterday I recieved my first unpleasant private mailing. Should I name
>this person on list, so that others be warned? (Just as people are
>prepared to name companies they don't consider to be ethical). OK - only
>kidding.
>Knowledgeable and friendly people have left the list because of such
>abuse.
>I stand accused of being 'very young and having much to learn'. This
>patronising attitude will help lose us the few young members we have.
>I'm pleased to be thought of as 'very young'. I hope there is plenty
>more to learn in life, and consider the opinions of the young as
>important as any other.
>I sincerely hope this person remains on list and learns from the
>experience. You only learn by experience if your mind remains open.

Perhaps the person in question just wanted to "scare off the younguns" so
that they and their "old crone friends" (My apologies..... I don't know
whether "crone" applies to males as well as females..... I mean it for
both) can have the list to themselves to endlessly discuss inane topics
that they've already done to death before!!!  Perhaps we should talk to our
list controller and ask him to set up their very own list...... we could
always call it something like
	old-blinkered-scared-of-new-ideas-on-irises-l@rt66.com

Being another one of the flamees for having ideas that are not necessarily
rooted in the bowels of history, I hope the person/s who do this sort of
thing take the hint and keep their negative and hurtfull comments to
themselves.  It took me a while to come back to the list after I was "told
off".  Sure, I'm now thicker-skinned about it, but how many others have
left the list for the same thing?

Anyhow, my soapbox just caved in, so I guess its trying to hint to me that
I should get off it.

Take care all.  I look forward to all the ideas exchanged on the list, be
they knew or old.

Paul Tyerman (Australia)
Where the first frosts of winter have just taken out the cannas, dahlias,
zinnias and a few other bits and pieces.