spring bulb show

Saturday was the Spring Bulb show in Ottawa, moved up from the scheduled
date of May 23.  There probably won't be much left in the way of spring
bulbs blooming at that time.  We only managed to put in two entries of
Narcissus.  Fortunately there are a few members who exhibit who live in
slightly colder areas in the region, so there were enough exhibits to make a
good show.  We were even able to exhibit some irises in the collection of
garden flowers class.  The requirement is 3 kinds of garden flowers and 3
specimens of each cultivar/species.  The collection of a light blue SDB
seedling, dwarf columbine and campanula (blue theme) won second prize and
the collection of Chuck Chapman's 1997 introductions (Klingon Princess,
Skydancer, Ruby Eruption) with rose campion and grape hyacinths (the pink of
the rose campion clashed with the burgundy of Ruby Eruption) won third
prize.

But the highlight -- I won the champion tulip trophy with Artist, an orange
viridiflora.

Show fever is on!  Now, if they reschedule the iris peony show, I'll be able
to go to that and the CIS show.  They are both scheduled for the same
day--hopefully they won't both move to the same day.

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)