I. tectorum variegatum again

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: I. tectorum variegatum again
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 09:22:46 -0600 (MDT)

Judging from the catalog picture, the "I. tectorum variegatum" offered by
van Bourgondien's is, in reality, I. japonica variegata.  However, I noted
that We-Du Nursery (North Carolina), which under its previous management I
found very reliable, had also listed I. tectorum variegatum. So I ordered
it.  As it turned out, something else I wanted was sold out, so they
doubled up on this iris.

Alas, comparisons of the foliage and growth habit (stoloniferous) with I.
japonica variegata already growing in my garden suggest that the plants
recieved from We-Du are indeed this form and not a tectorum (the foliage of
tectorum is a different shade of green and distinctively pleated). However,
they are thriving and I will wait for bloom next year before deciding--who
knows, maybe I'm wrong....

Also on the order of reliability: I. ruthenica ordered last year from Niche
Gardens, and supplied as a generous clump, was I. sanguinea.  They quickly
and courteously refunded.  It's an interesting sanguinea, though, quite
narrow and unlike the usual garden form.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943