Re: OT: differing opinions

Paul & Yvonne Tyerman wrote:
> Perhaps the person in question just wanted to "scare off the younguns" so
> that they and their "old crone friends" (My apologies..... I don't know
> whether "crone" applies to males as well as females..... I mean it for
> both) can have the list to themselves to endlessly discuss inane topics
> that they've already done to death before!!!

--  snip  --

Well I for one have always been in favor of exposing the authors of
inappropriate mail to the light of day on the list. A position I have always
held, and that seems to work for me, since I don't ever get flame mail. (Maybe
I have never said anything controversial enough to evoke the passion of a
flamer). I truly believe that if the cowardly souls that write that kind of
hate mail knew that they were about to have it relayed to the entire list thay
would probably stay under their rocks.

I also try to avoid assigning motives to folks. I find that it helps me think
more clearly about the issues being discussed. My apologies Paul, I don't mean
to offend, but I don't think your categorization applies to many of the active
listers. I think that the group is open to any new idea, even a question that,
to some, may pose a new concept, but to others, may have been part of the
existing knowledge base of irisdom.

To be sure, I do not care to see the same subject discussed every couple of
weeks or months, especially when brought up by someone who has been on the
list long enough to have read the discussion previously, but how is a newcomer
to know that? And as someone said the last time we were discussing this (Anner
I think, but I am not sure) it is good to rediscuss issues now and again, just
to see what new thoughts come up.

We all have our pet issues (or peeves), most people know mine because I tend
to comment on them. Personal mail, truly OT posts, and catalog requests top my
list of undesireable mail. By the same token, the list has a wide variety of
personalities, and an equally wide base of knowledge. When I started with the
list over two years ago, I knew next to nothing about irises. Now I can
explain how to hybridize, what pineappling is, joined AIS, and took my first
judges training. All because of the list.

This is a great list, especially so, when compared to some of the other lists
that are around. We all just need to be considerate in our use of the list and
enjoy the breadth of knowledge it represents.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.